Monday, December 25, 2006

John Natiw


Canton, Michigan

LINKS

BIO
As far back as I can remember I've been a musician. At first, it was a little toy drum set. Then my folks got me some piano lessons. I got bored with the pace so I took up teaching myself. After learning a bit of classical and a bit of Scott Joplin (what can I say, The Sting was big back then) I went back to the drums.

Drums completely captivated me for years. I played in a number of rock bands over the years, but the most successful was a little three man outfit called Satin Steel in the early '80's.

After taking a few years off (pretty much the entire decade of the '90's) I managed to pick up the drums again. Soon after that the band Seven Bridges, formed. Although I've since left this band, we made a bunch of great music and played to many people over a few years. My last official act with the band was going into the studio and record a four song EP/CD with them in April 2006. It was a great experience. One which I hope I'll be able to draw on when I record my own stuff.

Around November of 2004 I picked up my first real guitar, a Takamine acoustic. Although I had written a few songs before that time (on piano/keyboard), the creative flow really got going after that. Most recently (January of 2007) I picked up a new Martin acoustic (left). Between these two guitars, I should stay busy for quite some time.

My hope for the near future is to be able to play some of these song live and get into a studio to get some recorded. Until then, I'll continue writing and making demos here at the house.

RECORDING
Down in the Man-Cave™ I sing into an Audio Technica 3035 microphone which feeds into a Presonus Bluetube DP pre-amp (newly purchased in February of '07) then into an M-Audio 410 firewire recording interface and on into my PC. Most times for home demos I just do a take with one mic picking up the vocals and guitar. Other times, I'll sing into the mic and plug my guitar into the other input on the pre-amp. Sonar 4 Producer Edition is my software of choice. Windows XP is my OS. I listen to myself on a pair of M-Audio Studiophile BX8's. I usually don't get too worked up about the sound of my home demos. Hopefully I'll have some good takes for when I get into the studio, Lord willing.

INSTRUMENTS
Takamine EG544SC-4C - This is an FXC body cutaway with a solid Cedar top, HawaiianKoa back/sides, Rosewood fretboard.

Martin DCX1E - My new baby (above). Solid Spruce top, HPL back & sides, Morado fretboard, Fishman Classic IV electronics. A very understated guitar that shows its stuff when you play it. Oh... and is smells amazing. Out.

Casio WK-1630 Keyboard - This is a toy, but a really nice toy. I started playing piano when I was a kid and the first songs I wrote were on some form of keyboard. I'd like to start using the Casio in arranging/writing in the future.

Pacific & Yamaha Drum Sets - Yes, I have two. Back in my "band" days, it was too much of a hassle to cart around one kit. So I've got two really nice sets. The Pacific (left) is set up in my studio and the Yamaha is in storage.

member since - [12.21.06]

No comments: